Tuesday, July 23, 2013

I Choose Healthy Organizational Culture

I would prefer a “healthy” organizational culture wherein employees and employers strive to be more productive and more efficient for the welfare of their institution. Specifically, if I would be a principal of a school wherein diversity and pressure exist, I would be adopting two organizational cultures under the “healthy” bracket: those are the normative and the collaborative cultures.
Normative culture stresses on abiding the organizational procedures and the norms and rules defined. With this kind of culture, my school will be just and clear on its processes and other doings. All the actions made inside the school and things which are in the school’s obligation will be handled accordingly and legally. As their principal, I would love leading a school that is purely white than being black which was just coated twice with white.
Two heads are better than one. Collaborative work culture, also known as clan culture, promotes cooperation within an institution. Unity is the most vital element of this organizational culture. The head is more on guiding his/her subordinates and less on governing them. It is also based on worker-welfare. This means that the workers’ happiness is also given attention. Thus, rewarding the best performances is a must.  
As observed, Philippines is adopting the child-friendly program from western countries. This was initiated for the welfare of the children alone. Nowadays, in my own opinion and as I have observed from my classmates who are experiencing teaching in a government-funded school, teachers’ welfare is forgotten. Job enlargement is rampant and over time is not paid, how’s that? Some head teachers tend to forget their code of ethics and trainings on how to govern their colleagues. They practice bullying on their humble teachers who are extending their regular shifts to 24/7 just to complete a task. Hence, teachers are stressed and have less time for their own families.
      Equality among the work loads of my teachers is one of my concerns. I don’t want to see teacher A having burden on his/her workloads in hell and I don’t want to see teacher B having his/her nails finish in heaven just before going home from school. As their principal, I will make it all equal and just for my governed body. I will assign and designate equal tasks to all of my teachers. I will also take considerations appropriately depending on the situations they are on. Younger teachers will be subordinates of aged ones. They will help each other to accomplish a mutual goal. This will be one of my programs under the collaborative organizational culture.
      Diversity is not a problem. I have been to Mindanao State University and it’s known for its diversified student and employee population. Being there and having interactions with different kinds of people did not change me into other disposition. Thus, I will hold this as a prime example to bind my teachers together and have unity. Teamwork now is easier. Social gatherings like balls, recollections, trainings and fieldtrips will also take place to aid the blooming relationships of my teachers.
      Rewards for my teachers will be so amazing and I will make history. Annually, to culminate a school year I will plan and allocate budget for a soiree in which my teachers will receive honours and recognition for their hard work and performance in the school. This will be a night of fun and camaraderie. There’s no stress invited.
      All of my programs are for the welfare of the teachers so that they will be productive in their chosen profession. Moreover, the fruit of the plans are all reflected on the performance of the school. The children will receive more attention and care by these.

In my school, I will give justice to my stakeholders. I will treat them right and appropriately. My school will abide on the laws while having fun in teaching and learning. Thus, I choose normative and collaborative work culture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment