Sunday, March 3, 2013

Literature + Linguistics + ME



Learning and Remembering Vocabulary
          Visual. In this style I can learn and remember more vocabulary. Whenever I encounter a new word I always look or stare at it and when the time comes that I need that certain word, I remember it by recalling the time when I stare on it. I also enjoy looking to illustrations especially drawings.
          Left Brain Dominance. I analyze a new vocabulary and incorporate it on what I already got. In this way I can compare its meaning and tell the difference of the two.
          The best strategies that suit me are: for cognitive – contextualization, imagery, repetition and auditory.; for metacognitive – self monitoring and evaluation.

Pronouncing and Speaking Fluently
          Auditory. The best way I can pronounce and speak fluently is by listening to native speakers or whoever good and reliable on it. For me, when it comes to language, it is best to learn it if I am on a crowd of people who are speaking it fluently. I enjoy listening to foreigners conversing in English. For me, they motivate me to continually learn the language.
          My strategy I do is to imitate how they pronounce and use a certain word. I practice it to inculcate it on my mind and monitor and evaluate myself(metacognitive) to correct errors as well.

Learning and Remembering Grammar
          Left Brain Dominance. The traits of left brain dominance help me in learning and remembering grammar. I analyze the word structure to get the proper meaning of a sentence.
On the process of learning and remembering a certain rule in grammar, I use cognitive styles like contextualization, note-taking and translation(cognitive). I also use metacognitive strategies like selective attention and self-monitoring.

Writing a Term Paper
          Field Independence. I do my term papers on my own way. It is directly encoded on my laptop that’s why sometimes I can’t submit if a teacher wants a draft. I am systematic in doing my term papers. I download webpages that are completely related to my topic. I make sure that the webpage that I’ll be downloading is reliable – I check on its works cited.
          Self-Monitor and self-evaluation is the metacognitive strategies I use in writing a term paper. When I’m done with my paper, I let it checked by a trusted editor. In this way, it is more convenient to me. I hate it when I recheck what I wrote.

Understanding a Short Story/Novel
          Left Brain Dominance and Field Independence. I analyze every circumstance that happens in a short story/novel. I sometimes predict what will happen next basing it to the characters and the events.  I also observe the style of the author to get what he really means. When I read a novel or short story, I do it on my own and I don’t wait for others to urge me on doing so.
          My metacognitive strategy is self-evaluation. I evaluate myself if I’m doing right and if I’m still on the right track on understanding the piece.

Rating on Communication Competence
          From one to ten, I’m on the 6th level, I guess. I think I am still not that good in the language. I still have flaws and lapses when it comes to speaking and writing. I am aware that I need to be exposed to an environment wherein native speakers of the language exist to fully inculcate it on my mind. For the mean time, with the styles and strategies I’m using, I bet it can still guarantee my learning in communication competence. In that way, I still can cope up with the education of the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment